Sunday, November 18, 2012

How I Coped With Diabetes

Diabetes runs in the family. When I was in my teens, I involved myself in a lot of physical sports and I had the slightest idea I would have the same illness most of my adult loved ones failed to avoid acquiring - diabetes. My active life came to a halt when I started being involved in non-vigorous activities such as sitting in front of my computers almost the whole day. These much more sluggish acts became mostly my day-to-day events which I so enjoyed eventually.

When my mother died of complications of diabetes five years ago, I was into a lot of stressful situations which manifested into the physical – I looked different. Someone checked my blood pressure and it was way too high I needed immediate medical attention. My laboratory results indicated positive for high blood sugar – I had the disease! I needed to act if I wanted to have a more productive life with my family.

Diabetes is a disease that will linger for life, nevertheless, it is very manageable with the right attitude and self-discipline. People who are more advanced in years can be candidate for this illness although these days, younger ones are already diabetic due to life style choices. I managed to live like I don’t have the disease by doing the following:
  • Having a regular visit to my doctor (can become lesser when the disease is fully managed)
  • Taking maintenance medicine (which can totally be eliminated if you do the next steps)
  • Sticking to the right diet (the internet can offer enough information on what diet to take)
  • Doing a regimen of appropriate exercises (my mountain bike has become my health partner)
Being diabetic did not hinder me from living my life to the fullest. I acted upon my situation responsibly and now, I can say that there is life after discovering I inherited the disease, something which nobody would ever want for an inheritance.

No comments:

Post a Comment