Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Something For My "Hypo"


The term “hypo” is becoming a by-word even for the non-diabetics these days. The hyperactive individuals would always express their “hypo” moments after a very exhausting activity even if they really don’t have a clear understanding of what the term means aside of course from knowing that those extremely tired ones can go “hypo”.

I am a diabetic who now has controlled blood sugar for many years already, and I intend to stay healthy for the rest of my active life. Diabetes runs in my family, the reason why I find it very necessary to get complete knowledge of the disease process myself. Staying healthy with normal body functioning is such a challenge for me. I have experienced hypoglycemia (hypo) quite a number of times when I was just newly diagnosed with diabetes. The symptoms include body weakness which seemed to almost knock me down. This condition is life-threatening and being a biker, it is vital for me to really understand this illness.

Whenever I plan to go out on a long ride, I make sure I go out with my other biker friends. Many diabetics treat hypoglycemic attacks easily with a can of regular coke. Diet coke can only aggravate the health condition. I don’t go for a coca cola as a solution for this health challenge because in the first place, it was the culprit for my acquiring diabetes early in my life. What I always bring with me when I go biking is a chocolate bar and hydrating fluid like Gatorade.

To consistently stay out of trouble, my wife would always have candies in her bag especially when we need to travel long distance. Any health conditions can be challenging but having complete knowledge, self-discipline and self-control will give you a more productive and healthy life span.

No comments:

Post a Comment